"This Is Halloween"- A Music Analysis

Ever since I was a child, I have always been considered kind of weird, so is there really a big surprise that I was attracted to the strange and unusual things in life? So, Disney's Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" practically screamed at me, sitting on the shelf at Hollywood Videos. With it's dark and spooky feel, with a skeleton man and his ghost dog on the cover of this Claymation glory, I had decided rather quickly, that this will be my pick for the weekend. 


The first time I watched this movie, it was an experience. I was excited, anxious and very curious. I had similar feelings when I watched Disney's 'The Black Cauldron' and 'Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland' for the first time. For a child who had somewhat a morbid curiosity, this was right up my alley, and in the 90's, these kinds of movies were a few and far between.

The Nightmare Before Christmas premiered in the United States on October 29th, 1993 and is now considered a 'cult classic'. And a big portion to why that is, I feel, is because of the talents of the composer and songwriter, Danny Elfman. Elfman composed 10 individual music pieces for this movie and even sang for the main character, Jack, instead of the voice actor, Chris Sarandon. With Danny's passion, I believe he pushed this movie far beyond what it could have been. Today, we are going to take a deeper look into Danny Elfman's opening song; 'This is Halloween'. 



Beat and Tempo:

After a short narrative that talks of a magical place of holidays, you're welcomed to a choirs of string and woodwind instruments in almost an airy light hearted beat, then it changes dramatically to a more engaging, deep beat that begins to set up the lyrics. The dramatic beat and tempo give a feeling of being rushed or hurried. Some describe it as a commanding, marching-like quality that creates a feeling of unease.

Lyrics:

The lyrics are sung in a choir like structure, multiple voices can be heard together and solo vocalist in other parts of the song. I would describe this song as a welcome song from the town members, and even though the song has it's creepy qualities, it also has an eerily inviting feel to it. 

The beginning lyrics is; 

"Boys and Girls of every age, Wouldn't you like to see something strange? Come with us and you will see, This, our town of Halloween."

Doesn't that sound like a nice an invitation?

The next line of lyrics reads something that every child once wanted to scream around the month of October:

"THIS IS HALLOWEEN! THIS IS HALLOWEEN!"

As a child, and even as an adult today, I still get excited when I hear these lyrics. But that's just the first chorus line, the rest of the lyrics become more focused and descriptive, as the town members begin their 'introductions'.

Each member of the town has a quick introduction like lyric. Such as, 'I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red!' Or, 'I am the shadow on the moon at night, Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!' 

Those details gives you a frighteningly, familiar feeling, doesn't it? We all once thought there was a monster under our beds at night, or fear that the 'Boogey Man' will fill your dreams with fright. 

I found it reassuring knowing that I wasn't the only one frightened of these monsters but it also gave a feeling of comfort, and ease to continue on exploring this world of 'Nightmares' to find a feeling of security. Kind of like when you were scared to cross the street, but when your guardian reaches their hand out, suddenly, it doesn't seem so scary and could be something you can conquer. 

Meter:

The meter is very interesting for this song because it is mostly played with the common time grouping of 4/4 throughout the majority of the song. So, it has the same qualities of most popular music we hear being made today. It has a familiar meter so you can feel a little more secure in the song, then nearing the end half of the chorus, it changes its meter ever so slightly to a 3/4 count. Giving you yet, another feeling of uncertainty in the remainder of the song. 

The writer's at ClassicFM.com was able to pinpoint the meter change to the exact chorus line:

The song is still in count 4 when the chorus reads: 'It's our town, everybody scream!'

Then in the next line it changes to a 3/4 count with: 'In this town of Halloween.'

Adding confusion to the audience, as to where the music will go next.

I feel Danny Elfman did an amazing job at setting up the feel for the movie in the very first scene with his music. It really is a great teaser for how the rest of the movie plays out and the emotions Danny was able to manipulate in his great music. He has made himself quite the name in Hollywood after this movie premiered in 1993, working with Tim Burton and many other great directors. I guarantee this won't be the last time you hear his name.

Covers for 'This is Halloween':

I wanted to include the fact that this song is so popular many bands/artists have covered it. Here are two of the bigger Headliner Artists that did covers for this song, they each put their own original spin on the music and I hope you enjoy their music as much as I do!

1. Artist: Marilyn Manson


2. Artist: Panic! At The Disco


Sources:

'Why 'This is Halloween' sounds so creepy' Classicfm.com 21 December 2018,18:37| Updated:7 January 2019, 11:02

Danny Elfman's Music For A Darkened People Cinemusic.net Ryan Keaveney & Klaatu Media 

Comments

  1. Hi Crystal!

    I haven't ever watched a Tim Burton movie fully, but I loved the song "This is Halloween". I agree that the change in meter is really off-putting! The clay stop motion animation is also something I really liked about "The Nightmare before Christmas". Ever since I was 10 years old, I loved making stop motion animations and wanted to pursue a film/television degree (although that didn't pan out with my other plans). This movie (even though I didn't ever finish it) was one of the first movies that got me into stop motion animation with legos as a hobby. Great Post!

    - Josh Foster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal!
    I recently watched The Nightmare Before Christmas because my S.O. loves that movie. It was super interesting to understand the context behind the song I already knew and loved. I think it's great that you included covers, I never even considered doing that. I agree with your assessment of the lyrics, but I had never considered the shift in meters. That makes so much sense. I've always wondered what (beyond the lyrics) contributes to the feeling of foreboding the song instills. Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughtful analysis of this song, I learned a lot while reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog!

Music and The Fictive Dream- "The Other Side"

The Evolution of Electronic Music